Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Diving Bell and The Butterfly and New York City



              I got so tired after writing 500-word essays about each of the Top-10 films of the 2000’s that I had to take a 12-day sabbatical to regain my blogger strength.  Between that post and today, I took a 4-day weekend trip (sorry, law school) to Washington D.C. and New York City to visit my two best buds and, despite the worst weather of the winter forcing me to improvise my plans a little bit, was still a pretty epic weekend.  To waste time on the plane, I watched a movie that I’ve wanted to see for awhile, 2007’s The Diving Bell and The Butterfly.  This French film is based on the true story of a French magazine editor who suffered a stroke and became fully paralyzed, save for one eye.  The movie flashed back to his pre-stroke life, but mainly focuses on his post-stroke life—how he learns to communicate through blinking and writes a book with the help of a very patient scribe who writes letter-by-letter.  If I had to go back and redo my top-10 foreign language films of the 2000’s list, this one is easily be #2 behind City of God, and if you know me at all I wouldn’t take something like that lightly. 

            Basically, I’ll put the movie in these terms for you:  in a weekend where I got to hang out with my two best friends in D.C. and Manhattan, went to the top of Rockefeller Center, had some great laughs at one of NYC’s premiere comedy clubs, ate the best crepe of my life, saw Ground Zero, went to Century 21, ate some authentic NY pizza, hit some of Greenwich Villages hotspots, rode the 4AM train out to Long Island Sunday morning with the drunkest/craziest of New York’s crazies, and generally had an amazing time just talking about the good ole’ days and busting each other’s chops for girls we used to date, I would STILL place watching The Diving Bell and The Butterfly in the top-10 best parts about the weekend. 

            So there’s a glowing recommendation for you.  

No comments: