Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Sleeping Beauty Fail



So, This is Happening.

I've been a lazy bum the past couple of weeks with keeping up on here, and I have a lot of movies I want to get to, but I had to post about this in order to see if everyone is as enraged as I am about it.

As my wonderful sister and parents know all too well, I am obsessed with Disney's Sleeping Beauty.  I probably watched it 300 times from age 2 to 8.  It's still my favorite Disney movie of all time.  When it came out on DVD for the first time in the fall of 2003, I risked my manhood by informing my new friends at college that I would be purchasing it and watching it on a Friday night by myself, and I didn't care what they said or thought.  Long story short, I would be lying if I said I didn't have an emotional attachment to the film.  Judge me.

Despite this, I don't think my possibly concerning attachment is clouding my opinion that I think trying to make a movie centered around Maleficent is a mistake.  As it stands, Maleficent is one of the scariest and best Disney villains ever.  Part of what makes her so scary is that we don't know anything about her...we don't know why she hates the King and Queen and wants to kill their child, but isn't it better that way?

Moreover, I can't imagine anything worse than Tim Burton directing this film.  I haven't seen Alice In Wonderland yet, but based on all accounts of people I trust, it was despicable.  So he's already screwed up one classic Disney movie (and the trippiest, I might add).  He screwed up Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, another movie that didn't need to be touched.

Look, I'm not trying to be a stick in the mud, but can we really not come up with any sort of original idea every once in a while?  Moviegods, I don't ask for much, but please....just no.

No comments: