Tuesday, April 9, 2013

The Top 10 Movies I'm Embarrassed I Haven't Seen



It’s easy to get a little movied-out in late winter/early spring time, since I spend most of November-February trying to keep up with all the awards season films, and because it’s a frustratingly long lull between the end of awards season and summer blockbusters. Every spring, Hollywood seems to basically take a dump in a bucket of warm water, splatter it across all of our faces while laughing maniacally and expecting us to give them money for it, but what are you going to do. 

Anyway, this April, instead of bemoaning the lack of anything good to write about (beyond Mad Men season 6, that is), I thought it would be a great time to point out some major, gaping, and downright embarrassing holes in my list of films I’ve seen.  In coming up with and ranking this list, I’ve considered many factors and come up with a scientific formula, consisting of the following, in order of importance:

  • Ranking on the AFI Top 100 List
  • Ranking on the IMDB Top 250 List
  • Prominence of the Director
  • Severity of people's reactions when I admit I haven't seen the film



Actually, when I was trying to create this list, there are really only three or four that I’m truly embarrassed to not have seen, so I guess that says something pretty good.  In sifting through the AFI Top 100 List, or IMDB’s Top 250 List, there were only 12 and 32 films I hadn’t seen on each list, respectively.  So that’s not so bad. 

Hopefully by the middle-end of May, I will have completed watching this list, and will be able to report back my thoughts.  Until then, I will just leave my list here sans comment, and let each of you decide just how embarrassed I should be about my having never seen the following films:


10. "Aliens" (1986, dir. James Cameron)

9.  "It Happened One Night" (1934, Frank Capra)

8.  "Some Like it Hot"  (1959, dir. Billy Wilder)

7.  "Jaws" (1975, dir. Steven Spielberg)


6.  "All About Eve" (1950, dir. Joseph L. Mankiewicz)

5. "8 ½" (1963, dir. Federico Fellini)

4. "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly" (1966, dir. Sergio Leone)


3.  "City Lights" (1931, dir. Charlie Chaplin)

2.  "Lawrence of Arabia" (1962, dir. David Lean)

1.  "Raging Bull" (1980, dir. Martin Scorsese)

No comments: